For 2 years my husband was mostly in military hospitals with only a few weekend passes and I was either in TLQs, staying with family or in rental homes where I could 'work out' the rent by fixing up the places. We had 3 small children and no paycheck b/c he wouldn't agree to sign a release for 'severance' pay even though they offered up to $200,000, which at that time was a small fortune. He was wise enough to know that in his condition that wouldn't last long---I was ready to take the money and take our chances --he was much wiser than I.
Most weeks, our only income was $40 the Red Cross would give us for food. I spent $19 on Christmas that year, buying used FP toys and cleaning them with bleach --the kids thought it was a great Christmas. :)
Finally, after 2 years, the USAF put him on TDRL and gave us 2 years of 'back pay' which was several thousand dollars. We moved to the town we still live in b/c it was close to medical facilities and the climate and area was good for the disabled. We bought a house. Eventually, my husband was put on the permanent and totally disabled list and everything pretty much stabilized --still lots of medical junk going on even today, but life did become more normal and we had a nice income, free medical, benefits, etc.
After a long drama, we finally began to live again, albeit a very different life. Hiding his hip to foot brace under his pants and removable back brace under his shirt, few people were totally aware of my husband's condition; the kids were always a bit surprised when someone said something about him being disabled, they truly never realized he was. :)
For several years we went to a pretty normal UPC church. The pastor was originally from my home state of Ohio and for the most part wasn't a bad guy. There were a few incidents, like the time I developed numerous boils. I had never had a boil in my life and these were huge painful ones that put me in the hospital. The pastor in all seriousness told me 'some people' felt boils were a sign of sin in one's life. I am not kidding! We called him a 'Job's comforter' hahaha. One of the Drs. thought it might be something in the city water that I couldn't tolerate and we bought a water system for the house. The boils disappeared and even though we later moved and didn't have a water system, they never came back. We do drink bottled water and have a filter on the fridge though ---just don't ever want to go through that again!
There were upsets in the church and good friends left (we had no involvement and stayed) but things were never the same after --people became paranoid and things were always tense. We bought a nicer house in a better neighborhood and changed to a different, closer UPC church. We didn't ask for a letter and had no issues so were pretty much accepted at the new church, but it really didn't surprise me that we seemed to no longer exist for the friends left at the old church....