A Picture of New Covenant Salvation
While waiting on the next study, I wanted to jump ahead in Acts for a moment to share with you a perfect picture of how a person is saved in the new covenant. We will be covering this portion later, but I felt it would give you something to think on.
Every component of how our salvation works is laid out in Acts 16:13-15:
"And on the Sabbath day we went outside the gate to a riverside, where we were supposing that there would be a place of prayer; and we sat down and began speaking to the women who had assembled. A woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple fabrics, a worshiper of God, was listening; and the Lord opened her heart to respond to the things spoken by Paul. And when she and her household had been baptized, she urged us, saying, 'If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house and stay.' And she prevailed upon us."
(1) Philippi did not have a Jewish synagogue. The Lord led them to the river area.
(2) Lydia was a Gentile who believed in the true God. (She was not a convert to Judaism. She was like Cornelius.)
(3) Paul, Barnabas, and Timothy began sharing the gospel. (Paul was the primary speaker.)
(4) Lydia was listening carefully, and the Lord opened her heart to 'respond' to the message. Paul explains what happened in Lydia's heart in his first letter to the Thessalonian believers:
"For this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe." (1Thess2:13)
(5) Lydia and her household were baptized.
(6) She speaks of her new faith by saying, "If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house and stay."
To Lydia, 'the Lord' was now Jesus Christ. She had found the one in whom her heart longed. Her conversion was true. Lydia now had the Spirit of Jesus in residence.
Just something to think about.
This study was originally part of a series on the book of Acts given to members of Hebraic Foundations from July 10, 2002 through January 19, 2003. They were written by Pastor Buddy Martin, a former United Pentecostal Church minister, who founded Christian Challenge International. Writings are the copyright of Buddy Martin and reprinted on this site by permission.
Page added October 22, 2004
CONTACT / HOW DO I
OLD FEEDBACK /
UPC MEMBERS SPEAK
LOIS' WRITINGS /
August 23, 1997
Copyright © 1997-2016 by Lois E. Gibson
Contents of this web site and all original works are copyright - All rights reserved. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of the owner.
Shop at our Amazon store! This website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.